No School and Two-Hour Delay
After reviewing anticipated road and sidewalk conditions, access to our schools, the projected weather forecast, and consultation with the Needham Police and the Department of Public Works, the Superintendent will make a determination between approximately 5:00 and 6:00 a.m. whether conditions will be safe for the children to come to school. The following plans will be in effect for inclement weather:
No School Announcement
If the conditions are severe, school will be canceled. The Needham Public Schools will utilize an emergency notification system that will contact your home phone, cell phones, and send an email using the information you have updated in PowerSchool. The "No School" announcement will also be carried by television channels WBZ Channel 4, WCVB Channel 5, WHDH Channel 7, WFXT FOX25, and the local cable channel.
- All classes and school activities will be canceled for the day, including scheduled adult evening classes, before and after school programs, including Needham Extended Day Program (NEDP), and other school-based activities.
- Transportation of students to out-of-district schools will be canceled on Needham's "No School" days.
Two-Hour Delayed Opening Announcement
If the Department of Public Works needs extra time to plow the roads or sand the streets to assure safety, the school day will be shortened. Under this alternative plan, the opening of school and all bus pickups will be delayed two hours. This includes special education transportation pick-ups for students in out-of-district schools. The "Two-Hour Delayed Opening" announcement will be the same as for school closure. Parents are reminded not to send their children to school early on "Two-Hour Delayed Opening" days since the school yards may not be plowed nor will staff be available to supervise early arrivals.
On "Two-Hour Delayed Opening" days:
- Schools will be dismissed at their regular times.
- Noon meal will be served at the regular times in all school cafeterias.
- Kindergarten a.m. session and Preschool a.m. sessions: canceled
- KASE a.m. session: Mitchell, Hillside, and Broadmeadow canceled Eliot and Newman – 2-hour delay
- All KASE p.m. sessions will be held at their regularly scheduled times.
- Needham Extended Day Program (NEDP) before-school program will be closed and all after- school programs will be open.
Emergency Early Release Announcement
In the event of a severe weather emergency or some other emergency that develops during the school day, the Needham Public Schools may release students before the end of the school day. We will use the emergency notification system to alert parents and guardians. As appropriate, the Needham Public Schools will work with public safety officials to shelter students we are unable to send home.